Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Edinburgh

We arrived in Edinburgh on the 22nd and immediately checked into our fabulous hotel. Much nicer than what Brad and I would normally book-- Thanks Robin!
After a quick shower for the Robins we went to a pub for dinner.

Proper Fish and Chips!

Then we went out exploring and quickly happened upon this Christmas Fair. The fair was beautiful... carousels and farris wheels surrounding centuries old monuments and buildings!We got these German Pancakes at the Fair. Mmmmm steaming hot, mushy on the inside and covered with Nutella and powdered sugar.

Finally, we ended our first night in Edinburgh with a night cap at another pub. This Coffee and Kahlua drink (pictured) that wasn't all that bad... could be a new option at the pub so I can stop looking like such a looser ordering tap water!We started day 2 in Edinburgh with a walk up the Royal Mile. I know it looks like its 7am but its actually 9:30... the sun simply doesn't rise as early over here! We visited St. Giles Cathedral, the Mother Church of Presbyterianism. The Scottish Reformation was part of the movement throughout western Europe which led to national churches breaking their ties with Rome. Its leader in Scotland was John Knox and this was his church.

Then we walked to Edinburgh Castle...

all hail King Brad... If my husband is the king, does that make me a queen?

This cannon is called Mags Mons... it is the first cannon known to have been able to shoot it's ball a mile away. We needed a closer look!
This is one of the few pictures Brad took at the castle but I think he's got the eye! Nice work husband!
Just a bit of fun in the gift shop. A bit more fun... still in the gift shop.

Again, if my mother-in-law is the Queen does that make me a princess?
After lunch at another pub, we went on a Whiskey Tour. We were taken through the distillation process and then given a taste of 2 different whiskies! I downed the first thinking that was the protocol for whisky! Boy was I wrong! My mother-in-law called me a lush and our guide asked me if I was okay (must have been the disgusted look on my face). Apparently you are supposed to sip whisky? Let me just say, the cool guys in the movies do not sip their whisky... they down it and then slam the glass down on the bar. I blame my mishap on Hollywood's misleading portrayal!
We found this Teacher's Whisky in the gift shop... thought it was fitting!
We ended our night back at the Christmas Fair. Brad got a steak and onion sandwich, which it seems he thoroughly enjoyed.
We started day 3 with a walk down the Royal Mile again. This time we ended up at the Hollyrood Palace, home of the Queen when she visits Scotland.
These are the ruins of what would have been a spectacular 12th century chapel.
We ate lunch at the World's End Pub. We tried Haggis (vegetarian of course!) and it was quite good!
Finally, we walked around the newer parts of Edinburgh, bought some shortbread, and then spent 3 hours in the hotel lobby waiting to leave for the airport. We spent Christmas Eve on a short flight back to London.
Edinburgh was fabulous! The streets were enchanting, cobbled, and unique. The people were nice, even the food was good. A great time was had by all!

No comments: