Thursday, February 19, 2009

Taghazout/Agadir

On our third morning in Marrakech we woke up early and had breakfast waiting for us in the riad's living room. We ate quickly and took a taxi to the bus station. We hopped on a bus to Agadir and 5 hours later arrived. Please check out my awesome double glasses look!
We surfed at a beach break on that first night but didn't get any pictures of it. This is the scene we awoke to on Monday morning... Truly a gift from God! A reminder that it takes a mighty creator to craft awe inspiring beauty like the ocean... especially when its been months since you've seen the sun!
Unfortunately I am not the best surf photographer that has ever existed... so although this was not his best wave or his best ride... it is the best picture I snapped of Brad surfing!
I spent some time surfing on Monday but also took some time to soak up some much needed sun! The sun, crashing waves and a good book... life cannot get much better than this!
My husband, SURF GOD!!! This is my favorite shot of the whole trip!
And, here's our best (pathetic) shot of me surfing. I did actually improve... and I don't think this picture does me justice... but it does prove that I got out there and gave it a go!
Still on Monday... after surfing.
After we went surfing we went to a hammam (traditional moroccan massage room) and got scrubbed down and then had a couples massage. Truly an unforgettable experience!
When we got to the hammam the Moroccan women wanted us to strip down naked... which we weren't prepared to do. This is what they gave us to wear, paper like thongs... that's it! Talk about an intimate setting!
After the massages, but still at the spa, I tested out some Moroccan eyeliner... charcoal on a stick.
We met Naima, a Moroccan (Berber) woman who worked at the spa. She offered to take us to a traditional Moroccan dinner so we waited for her to get off work and went with her (her English skills were astounding).
We ended up at a very traditional Moroccan restaurant and waited for an hour an a half to have a tagine prepared. Naima shared a lot with us about the Moroccan culture and traditions. She also invited us to her parents home for dinner the next night. We had a ton of fun and felt blessed to have had such a traditional Moroccan experience!
On Tuesday morning Brad went looking for waves with Team A (the good surfers) and I went to the local beach break with the beginners (me and 1 really uncoordinated guy). Unfortunately the waves were really small so by midday, everyone ended up back at the local beach. This was my beginners surf instructor, Syed. What a life, hanging on the beach while gesticulating to beginners and napping whenever the fancy strikes.
Brad couldn't stand to sit on the beach so even though the waves were small... he needed to be in them!
After our surf sessions we went with the owner of our house to get Brad a cut throat shave. Brad described it as one of the most painful experiences he's ever volunteered and payed money for!
They just put the aftershave on him... way more powerful than US/UK brands! I'm not sure Brad would agree but I think it was totally worth the pain... his face felt like a baby's bum!Later that night we went to this hole in the wall restaurant where an incredibly kind Moroccan man let us take our tagines home (talk about take-out)... we returned them the next day!
On Wednesday I opted not to surf. We went with the Team A van in search of good waves.
After a short search up and down the coast we planted ourselves at a spot called Boilers. Bradley dutifully put his SPF 45 and I documented every moment of it (really it's silly how many pictures we now have of Brad getting ready to surf!).
This isn't Brad but I like the picture!
I tried to get shots of Brad for a long time but eventually gave up enjoyed a good read. I was reading Fatherland... its a great book and I highly recommend it to anyone looking for a page turner!
After the surf session, our guide took us to a cool spot for pictures.
Eventually we made our way back to the local beach break where I enjoyed watching some locals play football... so fun!
At any given time there were at least 2 men with camels badgering tourists to pay for rides/photos. After a long day at the beach we went to Naima's house for dinner. This outfit was her present to me! I've never met anyone more generous than she was (I felt like a tool because I had nothing for her!).
Once I became a Moroccan woman, it was time for Brad to assume his role as my Moroccan husband! We were having such a good time playing dress up that Naima got out their traditional wedding Garb. This outfit was worn my Naima's grandmother, mother, and will one day be worn by Naima at her own wedding! I was honored to be able to try them on!
Thursday was our last day in Morocco. We both managed to get a surf in and then it was off to the airport and home to the UK... only to repack and get ourselves to Jen's Wedding!
We had an amazing time surfing, sunning, reading and relaxing! It was so sad to leave the sun and fly back into the gray skies of London, nevertheless, it is home and it was nice to get back into cell phone range!

No comments: