Saturday, April 4, 2009

Let the Tourism Begin!!! Spring Break in London

On Saturday morning we woke up early and went to the Portabello Road Market. The road stretches a few miles and there are antique/brick-a-brack dealers piled on top of each other the whole way.
Beautiful trees on brick at the beginning of the market! Spring is here!!!
I have a thing for cool doors...
My dad bought some prints of the Beatles...
Brad and I bought this ooey gooey 1chocolate cupcake from the Hummingbird Cafe. This picture doesn't do it justice, it was amazing
My dad's big purchase of the trip was at this stand... where he found some genuine antique coins.... A few hours later (and with a much lighter wallet) he left this stand with his coins... and a huge smile on his face. Different strokes for different folks I guess! It was nice to see my dad so happy, he felt good about those for the whole 2 week trip!
Just having a bit of fun at one of the stands...
Look carefully, it's Prince Charles!
Brad never looks happier than when he's eating!
After the market we tubed it to Harrods and grabbed some snacks at the awe inspiring food hall. My dad and I had a bit of a tiff there because I wanted to buy an apple but the crowds were too much for him and he made us leave before I could by my snack. We went to the park to eat our goodies... without my apple!
Here we are after we made up. Look at what a beautiful day it was.
London never looks like this... so when it does you've gotta take advantage. Well done us for capitalizing on the sun.On Sunday we went to Kew Gardens (Royal Gardens). Its nice to get out of the city and enjoy some green. Kew is an incredibly cute burrough on the outskirts of London and while you're there you can easily forget the hustle and bustle of the city. This is us at the entrance.
This scene was quite ordinary... women taking pictures and the men looking on...
This tree seemed like the perfect back drop for a group shot. It took a couple tries with the camera timer but eventually we got it!
It was another lovely day so we took about 100 photos. Here are some of my favourites!
I really wanted to buy this cute little tea pot but we are trying to be minimalists since we eventually have to get all of our little treasures back to the states... so we took a picture instead!
Isn't he cute... we're on our way home from the gardens here (on the tube).
After a rest and some primping we went to what we thought was 'High Tea.' Unfortunately it was an awful experience... from the food, to the service, to the ambiance... to the tea... the whole experience was bad! AND REALLY EXPENSIVE!
All dressed up... look at Brad in his fancy jacket and scarf. He looks like a proper British bloke!
Tubing it home from tea.
On Monday we went to Kensington Palace. Princess Dianna and the princes used to live here. It holds some of her old dresses as well as photos and videos of her. My dad and Shelly enjoyed this (I did too but I've done it a couple of times before!).
Then we went to Buckingham Palace. It's funny because Buckingham is something that you have to check of your tourist list but once you're actually there, there is not that much to see.
Then we hopped on an open air bus tour and drove around London is style!
We went to dinner at Nando's, a portuguesse restuarant that we love. I always get the childrens chicken breast strips... which comes with a cup for bottomless frozen yogurt. I basically eat the chicken so that then I can enjoy the bottomless yougurt at the end!!!
Then we went to Jersey Boys in the West End. It is a fantastic musical that gives the history of Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons. I took my mom to see it in January and it was so good that I decided my dad and Shelly needed to see it too... it was just as good the second time!
On Tuesday morning we went to the London Eye to beat the crowds. I found these eggs in a tree near the Eye... this is the closest thing to an Easter egg hunt that we got this year!
The Eye is like a big Farris Wheel with huge capsules that rotate at a very slow rate. You are hardly even aware that you are moving. It is another tourist must as it gives amazing views of the city. Here we are, high above the streets, in our little capsule.
For dinner we went to Nando's again, cheap and easy worked for us! This is my dad after the women got done berating him for some trivial thing... I love it when he does this... It's his-I'm pretending to be stressed face. I've seen it my whole life!
Oh pop, you know we love you, even if we do pick on you!
Tuesday night we went to High Tea, again! This time we did it right, at the Dorchester. It was truly everything that high tea should be: beautiful surroundings, loose leaf tea, mini tea sandwiches, scones, jam, clotted cream, waiters in tuxedos and live piano music.
This was the perfect way to end our time together in London. It was so relaxing, and such a British thing to do, tea time is something we Americans should think about adopting!

1 comment:

SeƱor Shingle said...

Things I love:
Your blog. All of it.
The pictures you post of people eating. It's one of the best things ever.