Friday, November 21, 2008

Sara's Dirty, Rotten, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Week

Let me apologise now for the lack of pictures in this post. If you're not in the mood to read skip this and go to the next post.Okay, so I've had an awful week... On Tuesday night my tooth was hurting intermittently. When it hurt the pain was intense but then it would subside. As the night went on the pain got worse so I got on the phone to the National Health Help Line (the UK has socialized medicine... keep that in mind as you read the rest of this horror story) and they told me to go to Charing Cross Hospital to receive emergency dental services.

The UK's idea of Emergency Dental is a man that doesn't speak English tapping on my hurt tooth and prescribing amoxicillin. He suggested that I contact another dentist in the morning... duh. (This appointment cost 16.20 plus 8 for the antibiotics)

So, armed with antibiotics, I went to work on Wednesday only to travel back home a few hours later because the pain had become so intense and constant. I made an appointment with a dentist in my area and went there at 3:30. Again, the man had a very thick accent and I could only understand about 40% of what he was saying. He didn't even tap my tooth... he never even asked me to open my mouth... just took my money and made be an appointment for the next day to, "open my tooth." During the 5 minute appointment he did however tell me that I would get the amount of care that I paid for and that if I wanted him to do good work on my tooth I should pay a private fee instead of the national health services fee (16.20). He also suggested that I pay him for another antibiotic and pain killer instead of going to a pharmacy as he would give me a price cut. I did and later found out that the antibiotic he prescribed was for yeast infections!!! He took me for 27 pounds and wasted my day! I knew I was being taken advantage of but what could I do?

Thursday morning I stayed home from work... in too much pain and on too much codine to make the trip. Brad got me the name of a dentist that someone at his school recommended. I booked an emergency appointment and then looked up how to get there... of course the office was about a 20 minute car ride away... but not having a car it took me an hour and a half by tube and by foot! Finally, this dentist spoke English and sounded as if he knew what he was talking about. Because I was an emergency appointment I had to play musical chairs with his other patients (getting numbed up then back to the waiting room... etc.). He did a root canal and made me an appointment for next Saturday so that he can make sure that all of the infection is gone. This appointment cost me 300 pounds because I decided to go the private route but at least I felt comfortable with the treatment I was receiving.

Friday morning I woke up in an intolerable amount of pain... called in to work ... took some codine and went back to bed. When I re-woke up I got ready and went to work. I had a good day at work until I remembered that I was on detention duty until 4:45... truly the worst hour that you can imagine... especially on a Friday. When I got home I wasn't feeling good but I attributed that to the events of the week.

On Saturday morning, I realized that I had the flu, my tooth still hurt, and every woman's monthly visitor was here to stay for the week! I have been lying on the couch all weekend and am bored out of my mind. Not much silver lining in this week but... a root canal is a great diet tool!

1 comment:

Era said...

well first of all i would like to say that i read it all sara and i am your biggest fan since no one else had apparently read this and commented.
first off i am very sorry you had a tough week. what a butthead dentist to rip you off, you should have slapped the fool...i would have if i was there with you. the yeast infection meds is probably the new stuff!??!
im glad your tooth got fixed.